The measure of ingredients will serve 10 people ideally.To make Vada:
- 1/5 kg urad daal.
- 750 gm JERSEY curd (whisked smoothly with added sugar to give it a mild sweet taste), to dip the vada into.
- 500 gm JERSEY curd to garnish vada on top.
- 1-1.5 inch ginger (finely chopped).
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped).
- 3- 4 green chillies (deseeded and finely chopped).
- 7-8 cashews (optional and cut into small pieces).
- 1 teaspoon raisins (optional).
- Salt to taste.
- 1/5 litre cooking oil.
- 2 tablespoon cumin seeds (dry roasted and grinded to fine powder). Store in an airtight container.
- Red chilli powder (in an airtight container).
- Rock salt/ Sendha namak (grind into fine powder and transfer into a container).
- Tamarind chutney.
- Green chutney (optional).
- For tamarind chutney (optional):
- 1 cup tamarind pulp (soaked overnight)
- 2-2½ cups of water.
- 9-10 tablespoons of jaggery (gur) broken into small pieces.
- Grind urad daal into a fine paste with sufficient amount of water. You can check if your vada is ready to be fried by dropping one small ball of vada paste into a bowl of water. If the urad ball floats into the water, you should start frying it. If it sinks, that means, you need to grind it a little more by adding just the required amount of water.
- Except for Curd and cooking oil, add all other ingredients to the urad paste. Give it a good mix.
- Heat a vessel, pour cooking oil, and after it comes to boil bring the flame to medium heat.
- Start putting spoonful of batter into the oil, let it turn into light golden and then flip to another side. Take them off the flame once they are golden on both sides.
- Keep some 1/5 litre water warm in another pan. Dip those fried vadas into warm water, let them be there for 10 minutes. Take them out, squeeze excess water by pressing them in between your palms.
- You can dip them immediately into 750 gm of the whisked JERSEY curd.
- Take two curd-dipped vada ball, spread some more whisked curd (from 500 gm for garnishing purpose), garnish with roasted cumin powder, chilli powder, rock salt powder, tamarind chutney and if you wish, can add some green chutney.
|Calories (2 vada of approx. 50 gms)||140 gm|
A traditional touch to #JerseyGheeStories by Pavithra Durairaj
Donuts, but with a desi twist. Who said traditional desserts can't be fun?
A Sweet and Creamy #JerseyInstaRecipe by Karthik Narayanan
Creamy by nature, sweet by taste and healthy by nutrition, this Kheer will make you feel on cloud 9.
Rich in calcium and protein, Palak Paneer recipe is full of taste and nutrition making it a wholesome meal!
Are You A Secret Chef?
Jersey Parlour Locator
Find a Jersey store near you