The measure of ingredients will serve 3 people ideally.
For Ghee Rice:
- 2 cups basmati/ normal rice (tastes excellent with basmati rice).
- 3½- 4 cups of water.
- 3½ tablespoon JERSEY ghee.
- 20 cashews.
- 1 tablespoon raisins.
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced).
- Salt to taste.
- Fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped for garnishing).
Whole Spices for Ghee rice:
- 2 inches cinnamon stick.
- 4-5 green cardamoms.
- 6-7 cloves.
- 1 star anise.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 5-6 whole black pepper.
- 2- strands of mace (javitri).
- 2 green chillies (deseeded and chopped).
- Wash rice thoroughly and let it soak in water for 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel and add cashews. Stir till they start turning brown. Remove them from the heat and keep aside.
- Now, add raisins to the same vessel. Keep stirring them till the time they completely puff up. Remove them from heat and also keep aside.
- Add all the whole spices to the same ghee, let them crackle and spread the aroma. Be watchful so they don’t get burnt.
- Add chopped chillies and onions and sauté them, till the onion turns golden and translucent.
- Add the soaked rice to the spices and stir fry them for 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt as per your taste and mix it nicely.
- Add 3½ cups of water to the rice, bring it to a boil and then lower the flame to medium heat. Cover the deep vessel you are cooking the rice in with a tight lid and let the rice be cooked on medium to slow flame for about 15 minutes. You can check for the additional need of water and add if there is a need.
- Once the rice is cooked, put the flame off. Allow it to be covered for another 5 minutes.
- Your ghee rice is ready to be served with garnished cashews, raisins and coriander leaves and extra ghee on top.
|Total protein||9 gm|
Santhi Rabba adds a scoop of fun to #JerseyGheeStories!
A simple 5-step recipe? Yes! A fire-less recipe at that? Double yes!
By Pooja Misra, #HomeBakerMatters Recipe Challenge
Sure to stratify sweet cravings, the cake rolls are the easiest and fanciest dessert to make. Try it at home today!
An aromatic #JerseyInstaRecipe by Mr. Lalit Makhija
Mesmerise your tastebuds at every bite with an aromatic and tasty Paneer Makhani Dum Biriyani.
Are You A Secret Chef?
Jersey Parlour Locator
Find a Jersey store near you