Pavithra Durairaj has an amazing Indian dessert for us, the BADUSHA. This #JerseyGheeStories is all about the desi tips for a donut alternative.
- 1.5cup Maida / All Purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Curd
- 1/4 cup Godrej Jersey Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 3 -4 tbsp Milk
For Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cardamom
- 10 Saffron
- A few drops of Lemon Juice
Dough for Badusha:
- In a bowl add Maida, baking powder and mix well. Then add curd, Godrej Jersey Ghee, sugar and milk. Combine everything nicely to form a dough.
- After mixing, cover it with a cloth and keep it aside for 10 - 15 minutes
Preparing Sugar Syrup:
- Dissolve sugar in water and bring it to a boil to reach a sticky consistency.
- Once the syrup reaches the right consistency, add cardamom, a few strands of saffron and a few drops of lemon juice to prevent sugar crystallization. Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
- Now after 15 minutes, take a small portion of the dough and make it into balls and make a small pit at the centre using your index finger. You may notice a few cracks on the dough, which is perfectly normal. However, if there are too many cracks then the badushas may break while frying. In that case, we need to adjust the texture of the dough by adding a little more milk.
Frying the Badusha:
- Fry on a medium heat, the oil should not be very hot. If it is hot then the badushas will change their colour soon but will remain raw inside. In a few minutes, the badushas will lighten and float on the oil, flip it to the other side until it gets a uniform golden colour on all the sides. Drain the excess oil and continue with the rest of the batches.
- After frying drop it into the sugar syrup, if the syrup is cooled completely then heat it for a minute before adding the badusha. Cover the badushas in sugar syrup and let it soak for a minimum of 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, yummy Badusha made with Pure Godrej Jersey Ghee is ready.
#JerseyGheeStories by Pavithra Durairaj.