Learn how to make everyone's favourite festive treat, Somas. Anuradha Kumari shares a simple step-by-step recipe for you.
- Maida – 1 cup
- Rava – 1 tbsp
- Godrej Jersey Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
For The Inner Stuffing:
- Fried Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom -1 pod
- Take maida, rava, and salt in a wide bowl. Mix the ingredients well using your hands. To this, add 1 tbsp hot Godrej Jersey Ghee, and continue mixing while gradually adding water to make soft pliable dough. Continue to knead the dough for at least 5 mins. Cover and set aside for an hour to rest.
- Now roast fried gram dal for a few mins until you get a pleasant aroma. Set aside to cool. Add the cooled dal, sugar, and cardamom in a mixer and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Dry roast coconut for a few mins until slightly golden. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, add the roasted coconut to the fried gram dal and sugar powder, mix well and set aside.
- Take the well-rested dough and divide it into balls sized a little bigger than lemon. Roll a ball into a thin strip and use a lid to cut small circles of dough. Take a circle, add a tbsp of the sweet stuffing and grease one half of the circle with some water. Pull the other end of the circle and close it into a semicircle. Press the greased area well to seal it. Now dip the somas cutter in the flour and trim it. Make sure you trim the ends leaving some area of dough securing the seal so it doesn’t open up while frying. Now repeat the process for the remaining dough. Collect the scraps and start rolling again. Keep the prepared somas covered until you start frying.
- Take enough oil for deep frying and turn on the stove, setting the heat to a medium. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a pinch of dough into the oil. If it rises immediately, the oil is ready. Drop about 2 - 3 somas at a time, based on the width of your pan. You can see it puff up well within some time. Fry till golden. Drain the fried treats to a tissue and allow to cool. Store the crispy sweet treats in an airtight container.
#JerseyGheeStories by Anuradha Kumari.
Soft and spongy rasgullas make for a delicious dessert! This easy to make delicacy will surely melt in your mouth.
Perfect for any occasion, Chocolate Milkshake is a guaranteed crowd puller!
By Sunita Vaznaik, #HomeBakerMatters Recipe Challenge
Turn leftover bread into an easy dessert with just a few simple ingredients without much effort.
Are You A Secret Chef?
Jersey Parlour Locator
Find a Jersey store near you